PC Gamer (USA) 1995/6 issues

More
3 weeks 3 days ago #2402 by Kiwi
JabbaTheGamer has brought to my attention a couple of eBay auctions for early PC Gamer (USA) issues. One covering 1997 issues I have already acquired but there is another one covering many of the 1995/6 missing issues. The auction can be found here

The auction for 1997 issues I bought ( see here ) cost the same amount and came to $110US to ship to New Zealand and is about the same to Oz if we wanted to split the scanning between Jason and I. I have already paid for the 1997 auction lot myself out of the donation pool and I can cover this one with the residue in the pool but that cleans it out after I paid for the rollover of the Mediafire accounts recently and bought a couple of additional sets of rollers for the scanner.

If we get this, then along with my full 1999 set and a pile of 1998 issues I already have we can pretty much have all bar year one of this magazine preserved barring the odd issue here and there which is something I never thought I'd see.

Is anyone willing to assist with acquiring these?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 weeks 3 days ago #2403 by kitsunebi
That's so weird that it costs so much to ship to NZ. It's only $43.50 shipping to Japan.

I should point out that all but 4 of those issues have already been scanned. So $70 shipped for 4 issues is too rich for my blood, I'm afraid.

More
3 weeks 3 days ago #2404 by Kiwi
Replied by Kiwi on topic PC Gamer (USA) 1995/6 issues
Interesting. I checked on Retromags and worked out five were M.I.A out of the 11 issues. I thought there were more except I found three issues or marktrade's that can be edited.

I wasn't asking for one person to contribute the whole lot. Just if anyone was interested and a few plonked a fiver down it was a way to fill in some of the blanks. I hate to think what it is going to cost to acquire the 1994 issues though. The two issues scanned from that year were from someone photographing them with their camera so really are not that great but these issues come up on eBay rarely so are probably going to be priced ridiculously when they do

More
3 weeks 3 days ago - 3 weeks 3 days ago #2405 by kitsunebi
Really? They aren't the best scans (kind of low res), but I would never in a million years guess that they had been taken with a camera. That's amazing. Maybe more people should take "camera" scans, since they look exactly the same as a flatbed scan to me.

EDIT: I have all but the last 4 issues in that auction on my HD, so unless I'm missing some, it's just those 4.
Last edit: 3 weeks 3 days ago by kitsunebi.

More
3 weeks 3 days ago #2406 by Kiwi
I wonder I maybe missed some of marktrade's scans? Or you got them from another site?

Yeah, I remember there was some angst over at RM about whether they were classified as suitable at the time the guy submitted them. The colors are wonky too I think. Better than nothing but I'd prefer rescanning them to get better versions.

More
3 weeks 3 days ago #2407 by kitsunebi
Btw, I'm not trying to set myself up as a recipient of donations, because I really DON'T want to receive more mags, but in the case of PC Gamer issues from 94/95, I'd like to point out that I could easily have them shipped to my father in the USA and he could just throw a few issues in the box any time he sends me a care/gift package. It wouldn't necessarily get shipped out immediately, and I wouldn't be able to scan/edit anything immediately, either, but I'm just saying it would be the cheapest option if people don't mind the wait.
But again, outside of early PC Gamers or the missing issues of Game Player's MS-DOS/PC-Strategy Guide/PC Entertainment, this is NOT something I'd be willing to do.

More
3 weeks 3 days ago #2408 by kitsunebi

Kiwi wrote: Yeah, I remember there was some angst over at RM about whether they were classified as suitable at the time the guy submitted them. The colors are wonky too I think. Better than nothing but I'd prefer rescanning them to get better versions.

Well sure, better is always better, but they look legit to me. They're already better than half the stuff at archive. I'm looking at them again right now, and I've got to say I think you're mistaken. No way could you get those results with a camera. Unless your copies are different from mine?

More
3 weeks 3 days ago #2410 by Kiwi
I can only say what I recall of their turning up at retromags. Maybe I am wrong but I sure as hell ain't going back there to trawl through the forum posts to find it but that's how I remember it because I was undecided if I could even be bothered downloading them. I think I might have grabbed issue 01 and didn't get 03 although I cannot find even that issue on the NAS now.

More
3 weeks 3 days ago #2411 by kitsunebi
Beggars can't be choosers, but I'm fine with these scans. Most scans could always be better (not mine, of course :P ), but these do the job:

Sample page from issue 1:

Sample page from issue 3:
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds