Happy New Year!!

More
3 months 1 week ago #2678 by Kiwi
Happy New Year!! was created by Kiwi
I hope you are all enjoying the festivities and, where able to, are soaking up some beers and having serious cake time with your loved ones.

COVID-19 really screwed up 2020 for everyone, some of us less than others thanks to Governments deciding to forego economies in favor of elimination. If, like Jason and I, you were fortunate to live in countries that did go down this path, you will likely have had a Christmas much like any other year. If you are living in Europe, the UK or USA then I hope you are staying safe and doing whatever it takes to stay away from getting this virus and if that means staying away from your elders to protect them then I hope you are doing just that!!.

So why post this in the hobbies forum you ask?

Well, as you may have noticed things have been slow around here of late. That's because for 40+ weeks of the year all my spare time seems to be spent updating the website so I decided I needed a couple of weeks off to recuperate. My nephew stayed for a few days so I repurposed my old DELL PC into a gaming PC, loaded up Launchbox and setup MAME and N64 emulators on it and we had a total blast playing some classic retro games. At eight years old and with only a Wii he was ignorant of arcade games and even Mario Kart 64 was new for him. Fun times indeed!! So much so that I am setting up other emulators on it now hence the downtime!! Sometimes you just need to step away for a couple of weeks to recharge the batteries I think!!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Mark
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
3 months 1 week ago #2679 by Mark
Replied by Mark on topic Happy New Year!!
That sounds great Kiwi! There was a lot of retro gaming in my household as well. The younger generation love the SNES and N64 games. At least until they become teenagers. When the games are properly upscaled, they actually look pretty good. My nephew in particular (7 year old) loved playing the SNES Aladdin (I know, the Mega Drive version is better but I grew up on the SNES version!). Awesome being able to relive these games through them.

I'm unfortunate to be in a country that can't control the flow of people in and out. So Covid is worse than it has ever been this week.

The ideal place to be during a pandemic is Mars, but New Zealand would be my second choice! ;)

Happy New Year!

More
3 months 1 week ago #2680 by Kiwi
Replied by Kiwi on topic Happy New Year!!
Hey Mark,

Keep your head down and stay safe where you are mate.

Now if Phil Collins could persuade the Genesis boys to come down here and play a concert or two that would be the BEST start to the new year ever!!! :lol:

• zaraned
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
3 months 1 week ago #2691 by zaraned
Replied by zaraned on topic Happy New Year!!
Hopefully things turn around for the better this year. Really thinking of going with emulation over original hardware. Original hardware is great but the amount of time it takes to get it working around HD TV sets, source leads, which often is just a lotto if it works decently. And storage issues+ potential damage to disks etc.

• slider1983
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
3 months 1 week ago #2693 by slider1983
Replied by slider1983 on topic Happy New Year!!
Got tons of GM mags to get through to make corrections. Going to be busy. Happy New Year!

• modgeezer
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
3 months 1 week ago #2694 by modgeezer
Replied by modgeezer on topic Happy New Year!!
You might want to consider the Mister route a nice compromise between original hardware and emulation. I hope to get one this year but i still love my original hardware modded with ODEs for disc systems and everdrives for cart systems. I have a couple of tube tvs just for my old systems.

• zaraned
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
3 months 1 week ago #2695 by zaraned
Replied by zaraned on topic Happy New Year!!
Mister looks like a nice piece of kit. I have 5th gen and below games sorted out via modded original Xbox. Just the TV acting up with the Xbox. The Gamecube is a disaster. Had no idea how expensive HD cables were for the Cube. Same story with the Ps2 but the cables are cheaper. The Dreamcast works like a dream, with VGA support in the TV. It looks amazing for a console released in 1998.

• modgeezer
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
3 months 1 week ago #2697 by modgeezer
Replied by modgeezer on topic Happy New Year!!
Yes those official gamecube component cables are crazy expensive and are only compatible with pal version gamecubes. I think its cheaper to get a wii and just play gamecube on that.

More
3 months 1 week ago #2698 by Kiwi
The Mister sounds like a nice piece of kit. Jason has one and loves it BUT there are a couple of things to take into consideration with this unit:

1. Being FPGA, and a cheap one at that, there is only so much code you can load onto the FPGA so early consoles/computers are fine but the N64 upwards are not going to fit or the FPGA isn't powerful enough to be able to run them at full speed
2. The above also means you cannot run multiple systems at the same time. For a game like PAC-man you can load up a couple of variants but you are constrained the the CPU/auxiliary chips being loaded onto the unit so ROM code for other games is entirely dependent on their using identical processors for video/sound etc. Even then size comes into play. I think I read somewhere you can load up Gauntlet on the Mister but Gauntlet 2 is no go. Too much code.....

I love the IDEA of FPGA gaming/computing. Amiga on these things is impressive by all accounts. But PC emulation using a front end like Launchbox offers me all that I need in that I can select a system, click a ROM and just play and just as quickly decide on another system and be using it seconds later. Mister cannot offer that level of flexibility so I happily take the annoyances of imperfect emulation in my stride.

BTW, there are other way more powerful FPGA units available but the prices are wickedly expensive. Those conceivably could run N64 code but differences in the FPGA unit would mean someone having to write specific code for a device only rich buggers could afford. The Mister is cheap because Microsoft made it available to get coders out there from what Jason said .... I think!!

• kitsunebi
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
3 months 1 week ago #2699 by kitsunebi
Replied by kitsunebi on topic Happy New Year!!
This conversation is like a foreign language to me. I've dabbled in PC software emulators here and there, but hardware-based emulation is a complete unknown to me. I don't even know what a Raspberry Pi is, but it sounds delicious. At any rate, it sounds cool, but figuring it all out seems like more trouble than its worth for someone like me who isn't all that into games anymore in the first place. Guess I'll stick to DOSBox for my nostalgia needs.:lol: I wish there was a Win95 Box or something, though. Some of those early Windows games can be a bitch to get working nowadays.

More
3 months 1 week ago #2701 by Kiwi
I believe that is being worked on .... as in a big ass collection of Win95/98 software with a version of DOSbox that runs Windows 9x operating systems

Time to create page: 0.347 seconds