Nobody wants his Famitsu collection

More
3 months 1 day ago - 3 months 1 day ago #2265 by kitsunebi
Hahaha...I just saw this guy's auction for Famitsu 1-1600 again. It's the same listing that's been available for the past 3 years (at least), he just continually adjusts it to include the newer issues as they get released. Of course, his listing price is so outrageous that no one in their right mind would ever consider purchasing it. I personally think he has no interest in actually selling it and is just showing off his collection. Either that or he's just certifiably insane.

Whaddaya think? Anybody got USD $52,600 to spend on 1600 mags? That's only $32 per issue! :lol: I wonder what shipping would be to New Zealand, Kiwi? :lol: :lol:

page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/u71786257
Last edit: 3 months 1 day ago by kitsunebi.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 months 1 day ago #2266 by Kiwi
Yeah, you could probably add a zero to the auction price for the postage. But, boy oh boy, I had a glance at a couple of other auctions and they had me salivating. I Love Japanese magazines for their artwork and some of the ads on some mags look brilliant. Shame the postage to NZ would be horrendous if they even considered shipping internationally...

More
3 months 1 day ago #2267 by kitsunebi
Most Japanese auctions are quite affordable when compared to sites like eBay, but this particular guy has the price set absurdly high, I assume because he doesn't actually want to sell his collection. Most mags I've bought via auction in Japan came out to an average of $1 per issue.

More
3 months 1 day ago #2269 by Kiwi
Heck yeah!! I'm glad I am NOT living in Japan. I'd have no room in my abode to sleep because it would be loaded up with gaming mags :P

More
3 months 1 day ago #2270 by kitsunebi
There are websites which sell old mags like Mandarake where I have literally loaded up my shopping basket with dozens of reasonably priced mags...only to catch myself at the last second before I go through with the order. Gotta keep telling myself "YOU ALREADY HAVE TOOOOOOOO MANY!!!!!"

More
3 months 1 day ago #2271 by kitsunebi
Sometimes I think I like buying mags more than I like looking at them. :S

More
3 months 1 day ago #2272 by Kiwi
I hear you. I'm looking at an auction for 25 Famitsu's for 1,000 yen BUY NOW. Crikey!! that's just dangerous for someone like me :lol:

More
3 months 1 day ago #2273 by kitsunebi
Yeah, hard to imagine getting mags for $0.50 a pop when idiots on eBay think every mag under the sun should be sold for $19.99.:P But that's how it is with a lot of mags in Japan. I got 150 issues of Dengeki PlayStation for a total of $60. Although nothing beats the box of 45 issues of Play Online I got for ten cents...with free shipping. :lol:

More
3 months 1 day ago #2274 by Kiwi
Oh My!!! :ohmy:
The following user(s) said Thank You: slider1983

More
2 months 1 week ago - 2 months 1 week ago #2365 by spacemaff
I'll scan some Famitsu issues over the weekend. They're expensive to get shipped overseas. My scans will be worse than yours, feel free to constructively criticize, but everyone has their own quality/quantity balance, mine will almost certainly be more weighted towards quantity (ie actually finishing an issue) than yours, so don't expect me to improve my scanning at the expense of time.
Last edit: 2 months 1 week ago by spacemaff.

More
2 months 1 week ago #2366 by kitsunebi

spacemaff wrote: , mine will almost certainly be more weighted towards quantity (ie actually finishing an issue) than yours

Goodness, was that a dig at me? I'm sure you don't remember, but before I released my first Famitsu scans years ago, there were ZERO Famitsu scans anywhere on the entire Internet. Others have appeared since then, but I'm confident that I was the first.

Anyway, I promise I will have no criticisms of your scans. I don't read Famitsu or any mags about video games anyway, so I'll never even see them. But others will appreciate them, so for their sake I'm looking forward to them.

But I couldn't just ignore what seemed like an attack on my ability to "finish an issue." I've scanned (and fully edited) around 120 mags. That's less than some people. Perhaps it's less than you yourself have scanned - I'm unfamiliar with your output. But it's still 120 more scans than most people have ever done.

More
2 months 1 week ago #2367 by modgeezer
It's 120 more than most people and 120 magazines that most of us would never have gotten the chance to see. Thank you!!!

More
2 months 1 week ago #2368 by Kiwi

modgeezer wrote: It's 120 more than most people and 120 magazines that most of us would never have gotten the chance to see. Thank you!!!

I'm with you on this one. Apart from a full collection of Dreamcast Official (Japan) that was sent to me by one of our members I haven't even seen a Japanese mag for sale on our local auction site let alone Famitsu or anything else remotely resembling gaming.

Not trying to be nasty or anything, consider it more constructive criticism oriented, but if someone/anyone hasn't submitted a scan themselves then they shouldn't be making comments about other peoples output at all. Period!!! Full stop!!!

This community effort is a HOBBY!! No-one here gets paid (unlike IA's minions like godane) to scan mags. There are people who have submitted a few scans, some who have submitted many, and some who have submitted a swag load but I treat none of our scanning members differently to the others because to me every single scan is a gift, one created from someone prepared to spend a significant amount of time/effort, in some cases a willingness to sacrifice their physical copy to scan through an ADF scanner, to provide us with what was once a previously unscanned magazine thus save it from digital oblivion.

If comments from a member pushes scanning members into no longer wanting to scan mags then that affects everyone in our community including themselves so I have to ask what is to be gained from it? Nothing good that I can see. :unsure:
The following user(s) said Thank You: slider1983

More
2 months 1 week ago #2372 by slider1983

kitsunebi wrote: I don't read Famitsu or any mags about video games anyway, so I'll never even see them. But others will appreciate them, so for their sake I'm looking forward to them.

Hey Kitsunebi, I don't want you to take this as a criticism, I'm asking a question because I'm curious but if you don't read video game magazines are you doing this just for preservation? Or is it something else uploaded on here that takes your fancy? Just interested to know. :)

More
2 months 1 week ago #2373 by kitsunebi
No worries. My interests in gaming are strictly in the past. I don't play games anymore, but I'm still nostalgic for the late 80s through mid-to-late 90s period of gaming. (If the publication year starts with a "2," I ain't interested.) During that period I'm interested in, I find that console games are far too simplistic to hold my attention these days, so my interests are strictly in PC games from that period. Unfortunately, PC Gaming mags from that period are among the least-scanned categories of gaming mags, so it's pretty rare that a new scan pops up that I have any interest in downloading.

I scan Japanese video game mags because I wanted to contribute something and those are what are cheap and easily available to me, even though I have no interest in them personally. It was always my hope that good karma I accrued by scanning mags would in turn pay off with someone out there scanning the stuff I want to see, but with the odd exception here and there, that hasn't really happened yet, unfortunately.

More
2 months 1 week ago - 2 months 1 week ago #2374 by Kiwi
The problem with this particular era for PC gaming mags is partly that PC gaming was seen as meh!! due to the rise of consoles so a LOT of PC magazines don't seem to have been retained in peoples collections for one reason or another (I hold my hand up and be counted here as I threw out pretty much every issue kitsunebi wants of PC Gamer (USA) back in the day) or because of the aforementioned scenario people are now asking INSANE prices off places like eBay for early issues of these mags.
Last edit: 2 months 1 week ago by Kiwi.

More
2 months 1 week ago #2375 by kitsunebi
I disagree. From the perspective of someone who bought games published in the USA, this was the period when PC games were clearly superior to console games. All of the most talented developers at the time were working on the PC, not consoles. However, they were aimed at a different and older demographic than console games. By the 2000s, with the PS2 onward, consoles began to close the technological gap, and their audience had grown up to the point that it too now contained a large percentage of adults, so the divide between console and PC gaming became less and less. If I had interest in modern games, I'm sure I would find most of the games available on PCs are the same games available on consoles. But during the period I'm interested, PC gaming was an almost completely separate beast.

If there are less issues being tossed about on eBay or scanned, I'd say it's mostly due to the age of the audience. Kids who were console gamers grew up to be Retro enthusiasts, trying to recapture the nostalgia for their youth. But most people playing PC games in America during the 80s/early 90s were already adults at the time. So their nostalgia for the days of their youth probably skips that period en lieu of something they liked when they were younger.

More
2 months 1 week ago - 2 months 1 week ago #2376 by Kiwi
I think your view is clouded somewhat by being a PC user from the period so of course you had already invested the money into the PC universe much like Apple or Android users today. But back when I migrated over the PC in the mid to late 1980's it was literally a second or third rate gaming box. Consoles were killing the last of the home computing computers off with the Amiga pretty much the last man standing in that market as Commodore were already bust, Atari gone the way of the Dodo. At that time it would have been mighty easy to migrate to the SNES/Genesis etc for gaming and I think a lot of people did do that because PC's were so bloody expensive yet had less capable graphics (CGA/EGA anyone?). When I came onboard VGA was really new but when Chuck Yeager's Air Combat came out in 1991 that was the impetus for me to migrate to the platform. But how many parents could afford a $4000 PC for their kids to play games when a $300 console could keep them quiet while mum made dinner?

I asked a shop keeper why every time I went in to get my PC Gamer issue there were none on the shelf. He told me I was the only person buying it so he wasn't prepared to take more he likely couldn't sell. It was really disconcerting for someone coming off the Amiga where I was able to choose between two or three gaming mags even then and was now down to literally one. Rather than have several he subbed mine and had a copy ort two of Byte magazine as I recall. That was too heavy for my liking. Kicking myself now though.

Maybe because you were Stateside the accessibility of mags differed from New Zealand. Shipping was slow and mags expensive so that may also have played a part in the dearth of mags somewhat?
Last edit: 2 months 1 week ago by Kiwi.

More
2 months 1 week ago #2377 by kitsunebi
No, I'm not misremembering. I was a console gamer at the time as well. During the 8 bit era, PCs were at a disadvantage technologically with their low resolution, limited color palette, and lack of quality sound. But game design is another matter. If you wanted to play a Japanese platformer, then consoles were the clear winner, but there isn't a single game on the NES that can compare to the complexity of the contemporary PC games. By the time of the 16 bit consoles, PCs had come into their own and surpassed consoles technologically and were making huge advances in game design. On the console front, it was again the leader with platformers and fighting games, but for less arcade/twitchy genres like strategy/RPG/simulation/adventure games, the PC was clearly offering far more advanced options. And of course once 3D entered the scene, PCs games offered up experiences consoles couldn't even hope to emulate until years later.

Mind you, I'm not saying that PC games were more POPULAR than console games. Just that they were better in many ways (again, depending upon the type of gameplay you enjoy.)

As for mags, yeah, they were no problem to find in the USA. Every bookstore had a gaming section with console and computer gaming mags. It seems obvious to me that they would be harder to find in NZ, but that's probably because I've only ever lived in countries that don't have import markets. The USA made its own mags which were readily available. I don't recall EVER seeing any mags imported from the UK or anywhere else until perhaps the mid-2000s. It was the same with games. I've often read that the UK had a fairly thriving import market, but in the USA, import games were beyond niche and it wouldn't be unusual at all to go your entire life (such as I did) having never seen a single import game being sold in a shop.

More
2 months 1 week ago #2378 by Kiwi
"Misremembering" was probably the wrong word. The New Zealand market didn't have the PC as an affordable computer at the time. It was purely for business unless you had large money pockets. IBM still had a majority presence over with the PS2 microchannel (I'll charge you double for that)crap here and clones were thin on the ground and not much cheaper so after the introduction of consoles people here saw them as gaming machines rather than PC's.

The States on the other hand never took gaming all that seriously even in the early 8-bit days. Serious home productivity seemed to win out over games on the C-64 seeing mags appear like Run, Compute, Compute's Gazette. Then Amiga saw Amiga World and Amiga Computing being almost the sole mainstream Amiga titles out of there neither of which featured gaming as anything other than an afterthought.

Almost all gaming mags originated from the UK. New Zealand's home grown mags were Bits & Bytes and PC World but Sega produced their own down under gaming mag as a means of getting their publicity game out there. I was very tempted by the consoles. If I hadn't had a fully specced Amiga 2000 (with GVP SCSI HDD/RAM card and a couple of other Zorro boards) I would never have got enough funds from the sale of it to have afforded the 386DX-33 that I bought. I guess I came into PC computing via a normal normal route so I see things differently. $4000 back then was a LOT of money for a PC. More than my mothers mortgage and almost double my yearly wage at that time.

Time to create page: 0.352 seconds