What are your "holy grail" retro scans?

More
6 months 3 days ago #1026 by majin_zeroth
I know, I know, probably too little too late now that the site is closing down, but that countdown timer on the front page is giving me anxiety and I'm trying to cling to some normalcy.
Anyway, back to the topic, what are your "holy grail" retro scans that you've been trying to get to fill a gap in your collection? For me, it's PC Player, a magazine from the early 90s that didn't last very long. I only have three physical issues that I've been treasuring for years and search high and low to find scans for the rest.

It was probably about ten years ago that I discovered a few more on Out of Print Archive (which is also where I met Kiwi for the first time and came ever here when he started Oldgamemags) but the rate of scans over there is somewhat slow to say the least haha. Don't get me wrong I have a lot of respect for meppi64 and the amount of work that goes into scans, but the wait is still torture. Ten years later and the amount of scanned PC Player magazines is standing on 5, so the wait continues. I also believe that Hugh Gollner gave exclusive rights to Out of Print Archive to release scans of that magazine, so I doubt they'll pop up anywhere else.

Does anyone else here have a "holy grail" magazine like that?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pulstar

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 months 2 days ago #1027 by Kiwi
The first 70 or so PC Gamer (USA) issues, back when Imagine owned them as opposed to Future to whom they sold out to would be high on my list of wants.

On a completely different topic a copy of Bert Stern's The Complete Last Sitting has also been high on the wish list. I always thought the event surrounding Marilyn's death were, well, somewhat murky. This book fetches insane prices compared to the later, smaller versions which are relatively easy to some by. Someone scanned a lot of image pages but didn't scan the text content so a full copy of this in digital form would be a "made my year" moment!!

Also on my bucket list would be The BRM Story and Grand Prix World Championship 1960 to 1964 editions, written by Louis T. Stanley. He created/owned BRM, a British formula one car in the 1960's. I have scanned the 1965 edition (available here on our website) and they are a fascinating insight into formula one in what really was the best era where drivers made the difference rather than the technology. Giddy stuff!!

More
6 months 2 days ago #1028 by majin_zeroth

Kiwi wrote: The first 70 or so PC Gamer (USA) issues, back when Imagine owned them as opposed to Future to whom they sold out to would be high on my list of wants.

On a completely different topic a copy of Bert Stern's The Complete Last Sitting has also been high on the wish list. I always thought the event surrounding Marilyn's death were, well, somewhat murky. This book fetches insane prices compared to the later, smaller versions which are relatively easy to some by. Someone scanned a lot of image pages but didn't scan the text content so a full copy of this in digital form would be a "made my year" moment!!

Also on my bucket list would be The BRM Story and Grand Prix World Championship 1960 to 1964 editions, written by Louis T. Stanley. He created/owned BRM, a British formula one car in the 1960's. I have scanned the 1965 edition (available here on our website) and they are a fascinating insight into formula one in what really was the best era where drivers made the difference rather than the technology. Giddy stuff!!

As soon as all the lockdown restrictions are lifted I'll go out and see if any of the second-hand bookshops in my area maybe has a copy of that Marilyn Monroe book. You never know haha.

More
6 months 2 days ago - 6 months 2 days ago #1029 by kitsunebi
I second Kiwi's desire for the complete run of Imagine-published PC Gamers. But also extended to include all issues of its predecessors, worked on by the same staff: Game Players PC Entertainment, and before that, Game Player's Strategy Guide to PC Games, and before that, Game Player's MS-DOS Strategy Guide.

Sadly, it seems all we ever get donated to Retromags for preservation are all the kiddie video game mags like GamePro and the like. It's my personal belief that the mags listed above are so awesome, no one who owns them can bear to give them up for scanning.:P
Last edit: 6 months 2 days ago by kitsunebi.

More
6 months 2 days ago - 6 months 2 days ago #1030 by majin_zeroth

kitsunebi wrote: I second Kiwi's desire for the complete run of Imagine-published PC Gamers. But also extended to include all issues of its predecessors, worked on by the same staff: Game Players PC Entertainment, and before that, Game Player's Strategy Guide to PC Games, and before that, Game Player's MS-DOS Strategy Guide.

Sadly, it seems all we ever get donated to Retromags for preservation are all the kiddie video game mags like GamePro and the like. It's my personal belief that the mags listed above are so awesome, no one who owns them can bear to give them up for scanning.:P

Ooh yeah, I forgot about Game Players PC Entertainment. Good one. That reminds me I would also have loved to get more PC Power magazines as they seem to have vanished off the face of the earth when the magazine was stopped. I have three physical copies, but they are in such poor condition it's not even worth scanning what's left after a combination of being lost in a damp garage for many years and then getting "discovered" by family members kids who used all my old magazines for craft projects. They weren't exactly high-brow but I remember them being quite entertaining to read.
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 months 2 days ago by majin_zeroth. Reason: Edited to attach some photos of my PC Power issues for those not familiar with the mag

More
6 months 2 days ago #1031 by kitsunebi
I've got one of those. Bought from Yahoo Auctions in Japan, of all places. I'd never heard of it before, but non-Japanese mags pop up so rarely that I couldn't pass it up. Too large to scan, unfortunately, so it will remain one of the few mags I own that never has to worry about falling under the searing blast of my heat gun.:)

More
6 months 2 days ago #1032 by majin_zeroth
Interesting, that cover appears to be a lot more sedate compared to their later issues. I wonder what prompted the change in style.

More
6 months 2 days ago #1033 by kitsunebi
You probably don't want my opinion - I don't have the highest opinion of a lot of UK publications. :P By the lads, FOR the lads.:dry: Serious mags just weren't big sellers, I'm guessing.

How did we go from my issue to yours, though?
Here's my theory: In the USA, video games were for children. PC games were for adults. These divisions may have begun to blur by the turn of the millennium, but they were certainly true in the 80s and 90s. A lot of this was due to cost. PCs were prohibitively expensive back then, and game systems were not. So naturally parents bought little Billy a $150 NES rather than a $3000 PC to play games on. The games made for these systems reflected their audience, and so did the magazines targeting those audiences (seriously, try to find ONE game in any issue from the first 10 years' worth of Computer Gaming World that wouldn't send a typical child into a narcoleptic coma).

In the UK, inexpensive microcomputers were king, and most kids in the 80s grew up playing games on their Speccy or Beeb rather than a Japanese console. So even when mags targeted computer gamers, it was a much younger audience being marketed towards. PCs were very late to catch on in the UK due to their cost. So during the early days of PC gaming in the UK, I suspect it was similar to the early days of PC gaming in the USA (albeit shifted forward a decade), with a more adult-centered target base.

But by the latter part of the 90s and early 2000s, perhaps starting a little bit with the PlayStation, but most definitely by the following generation with the PS2 and Xbox, the kids who played games had become teens and young adults playing games. Thus, the console games grew up a little and PC games dumbed down a little, and there was a period of time when it seemed most games and gaming mags were aimed at hormonal teenagers and frathouse bros more than at kids OR adults.

So that's the long convoluted story of what got us from the relatively sober PC Power issue 5 from early 1994 to the later PC Powers in your collection.:cheer:
Again, it's just my theory. I've never even VISITED the UK, so it could be a load of shite.;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: majin_zeroth, Pulstar

More
6 months 2 days ago #1034 by majin_zeroth
Ha I don't mind your opinion at all. I grew up on UK publications so for a long time they were all I really knew. I was way too broke to actually afford any of the games or hardware in those magazines in any case, so I read them purely for the entertainment value. I'll never forget the day I found a huge stack of Computer Gaming World magazines at a flea market and bought them for pocket change. I nearly broke my back lugging them home, but read them from cover to cover many times. It's funny how much I loved strategy games back then (which is why Computer Games Strategy Plus is such a big favorite of mine) but these days I simply don't' have the time to get stuck into something like Civilization or Xcom.

Your analysis of the change in styles for PC Power makes a lot of sense. It could be a case of sales faltering and a new editor being brought in to try and steer things into a more profitable direction. A lot of it might also be trying to compete with the consoles as Sony was doing their damnest to market the Playstation towards the "hip" younger crowd instead of the crusties playing PC games haha

More
6 months 22 hours ago #1049 by larare
Somewhat related... I'm trying to gather all the old PC Gamer US and UK podcast episodes, since it seems they are no longer available anywhere. They started around 2005, and I've been able to retrieve a bunch of them with the Wayback Machine and the Archive, but I'm afraid most of them are gone.
I became interested in old gaming podcasts after listening to the Computer Gaming World podcast. It started in 2006, and it was a lot of fun. An interesting history exercise too. It's all available here: archive.org/details/CGWRadio2006

Anyway! I wonder if someone else is also interested, I can upload them somewhere once I finish this scavenger hunt.
The following user(s) said Thank You: trioptimum, majin_zeroth, Pulstar

More
6 months 21 hours ago - 6 months 21 hours ago #1051 by majin_zeroth
I have to say, as someone who has never listened to a podcast in their life, the Computer Gaming World one is pretty funny so far. Thanks for the link, I'm definitely going to be listening to these while scanning haha. It's ironic that they are talking about Halo 2 and flight simulator in that first podcast and here we are 14 odd years later and once again PC is getting re-releases of the Halo series and a new Microsoft Flight simulator!

Also, good luck with your scavenger hunt, I for one would be interested in checking them out too!
Last edit: 6 months 21 hours ago by majin_zeroth. Reason: Listened to more of the podcast

More
6 months 1 day ago #1067 by modgeezer
I guess I'm lucky my holy grails as of now have all been scanned. The first magazine i read over and over was issue 2 of Electronic Gaming Monthly I ended up buying every issue from then on up to about issue 120. I had always wanted to read issue one which retromags scanned. Then i found out about the pre EGM stuff Steve Harris released Top Score and Electronic Game Player All issues of both have now been scanned and made available to the public. I guess I'm sorta interested in the return issues published after Steve bought EGM back but those are years away.
The following user(s) said Thank You: majin_zeroth, Pulstar

More
6 months 13 hours ago #1081 by trioptimum
Now that PC Zone's 100% accounted for, I'd love to someday see a fully scanned run of PC Gamer (UK) and GamesTM. Both would be huge undertakings to fill all the gaps, to be sure.

More
6 months 12 hours ago #1082 by majin_zeroth
I would love to see the scans for both those magazines fully rounded out as well. Any idea of how many are still missing for each of them?

More
6 months 5 hours ago #1083 by Kiwi

trioptimum wrote: Now that PC Zone's 100% accounted for, I'd love to someday see a fully scanned run of PC Gamer (UK) and GamesTM. Both would be huge undertakings to fill all the gaps, to be sure.

I have a big chunk of PC Gamer (UK) issues between 57 - 114 in my basement from memory.

More
5 months 4 weeks ago #1089 by majin_zeroth
Ooof, do you accept donations in kidneys? :S

More
5 months 4 weeks ago #1090 by larare

larare wrote: Somewhat related... I'm trying to gather all the old PC Gamer US and UK podcast episodes, since it seems they are no longer available anywhere. They started around 2005, and I've been able to retrieve a bunch of them with the Wayback Machine and the Archive, but I'm afraid most of them are gone.
I became interested in old gaming podcasts after listening to the Computer Gaming World podcast. It started in 2006, and it was a lot of fun. An interesting history exercise too. It's all available here: archive.org/details/CGWRadio2006

Anyway! I wonder if someone else is also interested, I can upload them somewhere once I finish this scavenger hunt.

Small update: I've been able to retrieve all the old PC Gamer UK podcast episodes... except for one, which seems gone forever. I believe they messed up with that file back in the day and they never fixed it. I might try messaging the original hosts... I don't think I'll get any replies, but that's the only thing I can do.
I'll upload them and let you know.

Regarding the US version, I contacted someone who might be able to upload all of them, so... fingers crossed!

One more cool podcast I just found out about, The HotSpot by GameSpot (2005-2012) archive.org/details/gamespot_thehotspot
The following user(s) said Thank You: majin_zeroth

More
5 months 4 weeks ago #1091 by majin_zeroth
That's awesome and good luck with messaging the original hosts it would be amazing if you managed to get it from them. I've been listening non-stop to the CGW podcasts while working and you were right, they are not just very funny, but it's also very interesting to hear some of the opinions and predictions from those days!

More
5 months 3 weeks ago #1116 by Zeklyn
That's so cool, hopefully you get the files. Keep us updated, I would love to listen to old PCGamer podcasts!

More
5 months 3 weeks ago #1125 by majin_zeroth
Just finished with all the 2006 CGW Radio podcasts, really good stuff.

Time to create page: 0.272 seconds