What are your "holy grail" retro scans?

More
5 months 3 weeks ago #1128 by larare
Finally, I think I managed to gather all the PC Gamer UK Podcast episodes (2007-2013). 93 numbered episodes + 4 specials. I think that's all they did.
I've uploaded them to MF and here's the link (let me know if I should mask the link somehow):

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Regarding the US podcast, I got 49 episodes, but I think you can count at least 229 episodes for that one, so that's a lot missing.
I'm counting on someone I contacted that should be able to upload all of them, so fingers crossed...
The following user(s) said Thank You: majin_zeroth, Mark

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 months 3 weeks ago #1129 by Mark
That's great. Thanks Larare!

Does anyone UK-based know of any sources to get access to the tapes of the longest running gaming tv show - Cybernet? Chris Scullion, the game journalist, asked about it on social media late last year to see if anyone had contacts in ITV, but nothing came of it. There's very little preserved of the English version online. If anyone happens to have episodes on VHS or indeed has any contacts in ITV or whoever may have the original tapes, please consider trying to help preserve them before they are lost to degradation or worse.

Cybernet is the holy grail for gaming TV in my opinion. The longest running gaming TV show shouldn't be forgotten the way it has. Gamesmaster is already preserved. Cybernet was far superior and deserves better.

More
5 months 3 weeks ago #1130 by kitsunebi
Can anyone give me more info on the CGW and PC Gamer podcasts? Do they just cover contemporary games or do they have retro-themed episodes as well? I ask because from what I can see from the posts here, the earliest episodes are from 2005, which is past the point at which I stopped playing games for the most part, so I'd have little interest in hearing about whatever was new at the time.
I always really enjoyed Jeremy Parrish's Retronauts podcasts covering video games, but if there was a similar retro-themed podcast covering older PC games I'd love to hear about it.

More
5 months 3 weeks ago #1133 by majin_zeroth

kitsunebi wrote: Can anyone give me more info on the CGW and PC Gamer podcasts? Do they just cover contemporary games or do they have retro-themed episodes as well? I ask because from what I can see from the posts here, the earliest episodes are from 2005, which is past the point at which I stopped playing games for the most part, so I'd have little interest in hearing about whatever was new at the time.
I always really enjoyed Jeremy Parrish's Retronauts podcasts covering video games, but if there was a similar retro-themed podcast covering older PC games I'd love to hear about it.

The CGW ones I've been listening to has been mostly talk of World of Warcraft, Eve Online, and the then-new console games. The group has got great chemistry tho and it's interesting to hear them talk about behind the scenes things like dealing with the demands of PR people, review scores, the flak they got for changing from CGW to Games for Windows Magazine and so on. Lots of dissing of the Retronauts team as well who used the recording room after them!

More
5 months 3 weeks ago #1134 by majin_zeroth

Mark wrote: That's great. Thanks Larare!

Does anyone UK-based know of any sources to get access to the tapes of the longest running gaming tv show - Cybernet? Chris Scullion, the game journalist, asked about it on social media late last year to see if anyone had contacts in ITV, but nothing came of it. There's very little preserved of the English version online. If anyone happens to have episodes on VHS or indeed has any contacts in ITV or whoever may have the original tapes, please consider trying to help preserve them before they are lost to degradation or worse.

Cybernet is the holy grail for gaming TV in my opinion. The longest running gaming TV show shouldn't be forgotten the way it has. Gamesmaster is already preserved. Cybernet was far superior and deserves better.

I would LOVE to be able to see the Cybernet show again! I remember it being the highlight of my week when it came on on Fridays. If I remember correctly Lucy Longhurst was the host of the show at some point.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mark

More
5 months 3 weeks ago #1135 by kitsunebi
Ah, I see. I could listen to Retronauts because I've played many of the games they discussed. I've never once played WoW or EVE (or ANY online game, for that matter), and the last console I ever bought was a PS2, so it doesn't seem like those are the podcasts for me, as I suspected.

If anyone knows of any podcast new or old which discusses older PC games (I'm mostly into late 80s through very early 00s), let me know. :)

More
5 months 3 weeks ago #1136 by majin_zeroth

kitsunebi wrote: Ah, I see. I could listen to Retronauts because I've played many of the games they discussed. I've never once played WoW or EVE (or ANY online game, for that matter), and the last console I ever bought was a PS2, so it doesn't seem like those are the podcasts for me, as I suspected.

If anyone knows of any podcast new or old which discusses older PC games (I'm mostly into late 80s through very early 00s), let me know. :)

You might be able to find something on this list!

blog.feedspot.com/retro_gaming_podcasts/

More
5 months 3 weeks ago #1137 by kitsunebi

majin_zeroth wrote:

kitsunebi wrote: Ah, I see. I could listen to Retronauts because I've played many of the games they discussed. I've never once played WoW or EVE (or ANY online game, for that matter), and the last console I ever bought was a PS2, so it doesn't seem like those are the podcasts for me, as I suspected.

It's difficult (I've actually looked before). I just looked through the 30 podcasts on that list, and only 1 explicitly mentioned PC games (in the context of saying they discussed everything from consoles to PC to arcade and everything in between - so I suspect actual PC gaming coverage is limited). I keep hoping there's some secret podcast out there somewhere that isn't mostly about video games, but I've yet to find it on my own.:lol:

More
5 months 3 weeks ago #1138 by majin_zeroth

kitsunebi wrote:

majin_zeroth wrote:

It's difficult (I've actually looked before). I just looked through the 30 podcasts on that list, and only 1 explicitly mentioned PC games (in the context of saying they discussed everything from consoles to PC to arcade and everything in between - so I suspect actual PC gaming coverage is limited). I keep hoping there's some secret podcast out there somewhere that isn't mostly about video games, but I've yet to find it on my own.:lol:

Ha clearly there's a gap in the market then! I should start a retro PC podcast where I can talk for hours about the amount of time I wasted in Ultima 7 and Baldur's Gate 2. The good old days when RPGs were not all massively multiplayer online affairs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kitsunebi

More
5 months 3 weeks ago #1139 by Mark

majin_zeroth wrote:

I would LOVE to be able to see the Cybernet show again! I remember it being the highlight of my week when it came on on Fridays. If I remember correctly Lucy Longhurst was the host of the show at some point.

Yes, Lucy was the presenter during the period I watched it in my childhood. She hosted between mid 90's to early 00's. It's the kind of show that I would worry about its preservation. The production company is unlikely to care about protecting the tapes, assuming they haven't already dumped them. And private individuals' VHS recordings from the 90's and early 00's are degrading fast. I hope someone remembers they have them and quickly preserves them digitally before they are lost forever.

More
5 months 3 weeks ago #1144 by majin_zeroth

Mark wrote:

majin_zeroth wrote:

Yes, Lucy was the presenter during the period I watched it in my childhood. She hosted between mid 90's to early 00's. It's the kind of show that I would worry about its preservation. The production company is unlikely to care about protecting the tapes, assuming they haven't already dumped them. And private individuals' VHS recordings from the 90's and early 00's are degrading fast. I hope someone remembers they have them and quickly preserves them digitally before they are lost forever.

Wow, according to Wikipedia the show was on for 13 years. I had no idea! In my country the broadcast of the show as very sporadic so I'm sure I've only seen a fraction of the episodes. I'm assuming that no "sets" were ever released commercially so the preservation is very much dependant on the VHS recordings of private individuals, which as you say is probably degrading fast. It's depressing to think that something as unique and valuable from a gaming history point of view could be completely lost.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mark

More
5 months 3 weeks ago - 5 months 3 weeks ago #1147 by larare

kitsunebi wrote: If anyone knows of any podcast new or old which discusses older PC games (I'm mostly into late 80s through very early 00s), let me know. :)

Let's see, you might like Hardcore Gaming 101 Top 47,858 Games of All Time. They've covered a bunch of older games like Daggerfall (ep. 295), Red Alert (291), Blood (281), Ocarina of Time (233)... www.hardcoregaming101.net/category/podcasts/

Watch Out for Fireballs! covered FFX (ep. 223 & 224), Baldur's Gate II (217, 218, 219 & 220!!), Gabriel Knight 3 (209)... www.watchoutforfireballs.com/episodes

I usually listen to podcasts on my smartphone. I've got Podcast Republic, Castbox and iVoox (for mp3 I use Voice). A "trick" you may try to find new podcasts is search the title of a specific videogame you like and browse the results (filtering by Episode), you might discover a podcast worth listening to.

On YouTube it might be worth mentioning SsethTzeentach. If you can get past the amount of rubbish and nonsense he throws in (or if you simply enjoy it, it's his trademark), you will see he does make very good points on the games he reviews. He recently did Wizardy 8. Also Heroes of Might and Magic II, Deus Ex, Gothic II, and Morrowind: www.youtube.com/user/SsethTzeentach/

Then there's MandaloreGaming, probably easier to watch. Blade Runner, Shogo, Arx Fatalis... www.youtube.com/user/MandaloreGaming/videos
Last edit: 5 months 3 weeks ago by larare.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kitsunebi

More
5 months 1 week ago #1429 by majin_zeroth
It's a long shot but after listening to the GFW podcast (The Brodeo) I've been trying to find the magazine, but it seems like it has vanished off the face off the earth. It only lasted for 17 issues (after they changed the name from CGW) and the final issue was released in April of 2008. Does anyone know if this magazine was ever made available online or any effort has been made to preserve it?

More
5 months 1 week ago #1431 by Kiwi
I never saw the Games For Windows mags myself but I'd dearly LOVE to get a collection of CGW mags so I could scan them better than those on the CGW museum archive. I know they are more than readable but some are quite poorly scanned and cropped, I'm guessing from an A4 scanner, and they really deserve better than that. I had a heap of them in my younger days, all purchased brand new, and they got tossed in the tip when I got married. Sigh!!

More
5 months 1 week ago #1432 by majin_zeroth
I managed to save a few CGW mags from a fleamarket many, many years ago, but time, storage and moving multiple times (not to mention the kids of the family member who stored them for me for a while using them for "art projects") has not been kind to them.

More
5 months 1 week ago - 5 months 1 week ago #1436 by kitsunebi

majin_zeroth wrote: It's a long shot but after listening to the GFW podcast (The Brodeo) I've been trying to find the magazine, but it seems like it has vanished off the face off the earth. It only lasted for 17 issues (after they changed the name from CGW) and the final issue was released in April of 2008. Does anyone know if this magazine was ever made available online or any effort has been made to preserve it?

I bought a collection of all of the Games For Windows issues (I think so, anyway) a while back.

Haven't actually seen them, though. Had them shipped to my father's house in America.

EDIT: I tried to check my eBay purchases to confirm that I own all 17 issues, but it only keeps records back through 2018, and I bought them the year before, I think. I'm fairly certain I have them all, though.
Last edit: 5 months 1 week ago by kitsunebi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: majin_zeroth

More
5 months 1 week ago #1439 by trioptimum

majin_zeroth wrote: It's a long shot but after listening to the GFW podcast (The Brodeo) I've been trying to find the magazine, but it seems like it has vanished off the face off the earth. It only lasted for 17 issues (after they changed the name from CGW) and the final issue was released in April of 2008. Does anyone know if this magazine was ever made available online or any effort has been made to preserve it?

I have PDFs of all 17 issues. Not sure where they came from originally. They're not scans, they're low-res rips, about 20MB apiece. They're readable, but there's a lot of room for improvement.

More
5 months 1 week ago #1440 by majin_zeroth
Oooh, as long as they are readable I would be happy considering how hard they are to track down. They mention a lot of stuff from the magazine in the podcast (when they are not going off on all kinds of ridiculous tangents) so I would just like to follow along in the magazines for reference.

More
5 months 1 week ago #1442 by jccalhoun
I have pdfs as well. They are also around that size so they are probably from the same source. I can upload what I have somewhere.

More
5 months 1 week ago #1447 by majin_zeroth

jccalhoun wrote: I have pdfs as well. They are also around that size so they are probably from the same source. I can upload what I have somewhere.

That would be very much appreciated!

Time to create page: 0.317 seconds