What are your "holy grail" retro scans?

More
5 months 1 week ago #1456 by jccalhoun
The following user(s) said Thank You: kitsunebi, majin_zeroth

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 months 1 week ago #1458 by kitsunebi
Giving up the CGW name and legacy for a title as generic as Games For Windows has got to be one of the biggest WTF events in gaming mag history. I wonder if they realized they were sealing their fate at the time?

Thanks for these. Having them available even in low-res form makes me feel less selfish if I focus my scanning efforts on other things instead. :)

More
5 months 1 week ago #1459 by majin_zeroth

kitsunebi wrote: Giving up the CGW name and legacy for a title as generic as Games For Windows has got to be one of the biggest WTF events in gaming mag history. I wonder if they realized they were sealing their fate at the time?

Thanks for these. Having them available even in low-res form makes me feel less selfish if I focus my scanning efforts on other things instead. :)

They actually talk about the name change a lot in the podcast and they did receive a lot of backlash for it. Their thinking was that since Microsoft at the time was committed to making PC gaming great again and all the other platforms had their "official" magazines they wanted to be that authority for the PC market. It was also a move that was supposed to bring them more mainstream exposure on shelves because CGW was increasingly overlooked it seemed. However, nobody on the staff appeared to be particularly loyal to Microsoft and they spent many of their podcasts criticizing Microsoft for half-assing their PC gaming support.

More
5 months 1 week ago #1460 by majin_zeroth

More
5 months 1 week ago - 5 months 1 week ago #1461 by kitsunebi

majin_zeroth wrote:
They actually talk about the name change a lot in the podcast and they did receive a lot of backlash for it. Their thinking was that since Microsoft at the time was committed to making PC gaming great again and all the other platforms had their "official" magazines they wanted to be that authority for the PC market. It was also a move that was supposed to bring them more mainstream exposure on shelves because CGW was increasingly overlooked it seemed. However, nobody on the staff appeared to be particularly loyal to Microsoft and they spent many of their podcasts criticizing Microsoft for half-assing their PC gaming support.

I sincerely hope that they didn't really believe any of that, because that would make them rather foolish. Hopefully it was a purely monetary decision, done strictly for the cash influx from Microsoft, and all the other stuff was just noise to try to distract people from the cash grab. I can't respect greed, but I suppose I respect it more than stupidity. CGW was always second place to PC Gamer, but it was a very respectable second place with a long history of serious gaming journalism. "Games For Windows" doesn't even sound like a magazine. Certainly not a respectable one, at any rate. I'd be more upset if I hadn't already lost interest in games by 2007, but I can understand how readers at the time would have felt betrayed. Like if the New York Times changed its name to "News For Youse."
Last edit: 5 months 1 week ago by kitsunebi.

More
5 months 1 week ago #1462 by majin_zeroth

kitsunebi wrote:

majin_zeroth wrote:

I sincerely hope that they didn't really believe any of that, because that would make them rather foolish. Hopefully it was a purely monetary decision, done strictly for the cash influx from Microsoft, and all the other stuff was just noise to try to distract people from the cash grab. I can't respect greed, but I suppose I respect it more than stupidity. CGW was always second place to PC Gamer, but it was a very respectable second place with a long history of serious gaming journalism. "Games For Windows" doesn't even sound like a magazine. Certainly not a respectable one, at any rate. I'd be more upset if I hadn't already lost interest in games by 2007, but I can understand how readers at the time would have felt betrayed. Like if the New York Times changed its name to "News For Youse."

By the time the name change took place most of the original CGW staff with the exception of Jeff Green was already long gone in any case. They actually mock how serious and stuffy the magazine was in the past before they worked there. However, I think the name change was because they saw that the writing was on the wall for print media as they could no longer keep up with websites that could run a news story within minutes while as a magazine they were always months behind. Cozying up to Microsoft was for sure an attempt at staying afloat, but I think they didn't really think that if they deal with the devil that the devil would deal with them.

More
5 months 1 week ago #1465 by kitsunebi

majin_zeroth wrote: By the time the name change took place most of the original CGW staff with the exception of Jeff Green was already long gone in any case. They actually mock how serious and stuffy the magazine was in the past before they worked there. However, I think the name change was because they saw that the writing was on the wall for print media as they could no longer keep up with websites that could run a news story within minutes while as a magazine they were always months behind. Cozying up to Microsoft was for sure an attempt at staying afloat, but I think they didn't really think that if they deal with the devil that the devil would deal with them.

2007-2008 (the time GfW existed) was right around that time that PC games and gamers were becoming interchangeable with console games/gamers. So it makes sense that they would want to move away from serious journalism and become more like a console mag, since the demographics for PC gamers was becoming younger. But I don't know that a change in editorial tone justifies abandoning a well-known, proven brand name for a generic title that fails the google test (i.e. searching for "Games for Windows" will bring up hundreds of thousands of results, almost none of which have anything to do with the magazine.) It just makes your new wacky mag less visible on the stands.

More
4 months 4 weeks ago #1523 by Nipedley
Mine at the moment is 3DO magazine (UK) - I'm scanning an almost full run of Philips CDi (UK) magazine at the moment and would love to further complete the oddball console magazine collection. Unfortunately there are none on eBay and haven't been for a long time

Maybe one day!

More
4 months 3 weeks ago #1562 by slider1983

Nipedley wrote: Mine at the moment is 3DO magazine (UK) - I'm scanning an almost full run of Philips CDi (UK) magazine at the moment and would love to further complete the oddball console magazine collection. Unfortunately there are none on eBay and haven't been for a long time

Maybe one day!

That would be so cool.

More
4 months 1 week ago #1724 by Cez
A complete set of Amiga Power. I only need four more issues...

More
4 months 1 week ago #1725 by Nipedley
Hey Cez

I scanned all of the issues I was missing to make a complete set - though maybe not all in the best quality. Which ones are you missing?

More
4 months 1 week ago #1726 by Cez
Don't tease me... ;)

Missing 21, 22 (have a scan but not the best), 23 and 46.

More
4 months 1 week ago #1727 by Kiwi
I have all of those awaiting upload courtesy of Nipedley so they are coming .....
The following user(s) said Thank You: slider1983

More
4 months 1 week ago #1728 by Cez
Well its my tenth wedding anniversary (31st July) coming up so are they going to be my present :)

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #1998 by Cez
Last time I answered on this forum I ended up completing my Amiga Power set. So here goes. Most wanted currently...

Mega #9
Megatech #26&27
Sega Power #40&47
Sega Pro #11,14&25
Nintendo magazine System #16

Anyone helpout/managed to acquire a scan of one of the above.

All the best

Cez

More
3 months 3 weeks ago - 3 months 3 weeks ago #1999 by Nipedley
I have scans waiting to be released for Sega Power #47, Sega Pro #25, and NMS #16

Mega #9 and Sega Pro #11 are available over at outofprintarchive (check the new preliminary scan section)

MegaTech #26 and #27 and Sega Pro #14 are indeed currently missing and something I intend to rectify soon
Last edit: 3 months 3 weeks ago by Nipedley.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cez

More
3 months 3 weeks ago - 3 months 3 weeks ago #2000 by Kiwi

Nipedley wrote: I have scans waiting to be released for Sega Power #47, Sega Pro #25, and NMS #16

Mega #9 and Sega Pro #11 are available over at outofprintarchive (check the new preliminary scan section)

I received Mega 09 from you and it is going online today all going well. Can't see the others you mentioned though.

UPDATE: Mega 09 is online.
Last edit: 3 months 3 weeks ago by Kiwi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cez

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #2005 by Cez
This place is amazing. Ask and you shall receive.

Thanks as always.

Cez

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #2006 by kitsunebi

Cez wrote: This place is amazing. Ask and you shall receive.

...wait, really? Well in that case,
I reallyreallyreallyreallyreally want

Game Player's PC Buyer's Guide Vol.1 No.1
Game Player's Guide to MS-DOS Computer Games Vol.1 No.3
Game Player's MS-DOS Strategy Guide Vol.1 No.4
Game Player's PC Strategy Guide Vol.2 No.3
Game Player's PC Strategy Guide Vol.2 No.4
Game Player's PC Strategy Guide Vol.3 No.1
Game Player's PC Strategy Guide Vol.3 No.3
Game Player's PC Strategy Guide Vol.3 No.5
Game Player's PC Strategy Guide Vol.3 No.6
Game Player's PC Strategy Guide Vol.4 No.7
Game Players PC Entertainment Vol.6 No.5
Game Players PC Entertainment Vol.7 No.2

Thanks in advance! ;)

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #2007 by Cez

kitsunebi wrote:

Cez wrote: This place is amazing. Ask and you shall receive.

...wait, really? Well in that case,
I reallyreallyreallyreallyreally want

Game Player's PC Buyer's Guide Vol.1 No.1
Game Player's Guide to MS-DOS Computer Games Vol.1 No.3
Game Player's MS-DOS Strategy Guide Vol.1 No.4
Game Player's PC Strategy Guide Vol.2 No.3
Game Player's PC Strategy Guide Vol.2 No.4
Game Player's PC Strategy Guide Vol.3 No.1
Game Player's PC Strategy Guide Vol.3 No.3
Game Player's PC Strategy Guide Vol.3 No.5
Game Player's PC Strategy Guide Vol.3 No.6
Game Player's PC Strategy Guide Vol.4 No.7
Game Players PC Entertainment Vol.6 No.5
Game Players PC Entertainment Vol.7 No.2

Thanks in advance! ;)

Weird - I've just uploaded all of those. See?! magic!
**** FAKE NEWS ****

Time to create page: 0.353 seconds