Magazine Scanning

More
2 weeks 6 days ago #2423 by aeromaxx
Magazine Scanning was created by aeromaxx
Just joined today, and this is my first post. :)

I joined to down 4-5 OPSM issues that I didn't have.

But I am a Commodore Amiga Fan too! I have a ton of those magazines already, but noticed I was missing some magazines completely that I had forgot existed!

I noticed that some issues of Amiga Action were missing, I haven't checked any others.

I was just wondering if I wanted to do some scans, what should I think of getting? note I am in the UK so the magazines here are frustratingly bigger than A4.

I do have a Canon LIDE 240 scanner which is A4 and works well for A4, it's a flatbed scanner, so fine for one or two pages, but anything with lots of pages takes forever due to the manual process.

I'd prefer to have digital copies of a magazine as due to the nature of the work that I do, I am sometimes away from home for 10 months in a year (not sequentially) or only home for 2 days before working in a different place for a few months. So kinda having things as digital would be beneficial, I am not sure how I feel about destroying a magazine however.

I have repaired books/magazines previously with book glue, archival tape. Just wondered has anyone tried to put a magazine back together they have cut up?

I'm also curious as to how you would cut up a magazine for scanning

Also, I have some stapled books that are over 30 years old that I wouldn't mind having a scan of, they are small and lightweight so not too bad to carry with me, the problem is these books have huge super wide staples and I haven't been able to find a stapler that can replace the staples (one book has some rusted staples)

If I did get an A3 scanner I wouldn't mind one that was also a laser printer, any recommendations for that?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 6 days ago #2425 by Kiwi
Replied by Kiwi on topic Magazine Scanning
Some of us slice the spine off glue bound mags using a guillotine. For stapled mags I tend to guillotine right down one side of the staple and then remove it afterwards. Others will likely remove the staples first. Everyone has their preferred method.

A4 scanners are useless for a LOT of UK content from the 1980's/1990's. Everyone seemed to want to make their mags bigger than the next guy so oversized mags proliferated during that period.

Not aware of any decent A3 laser printer/scanner combo, at least at any price a mortal could afford.

I have cut and scanned probably a couple of thousand mags already and never tried to put them back together again. The digital file is all I want now so the paper goes into recycling.

More
2 weeks 2 days ago - 2 weeks 2 days ago #2440 by slider1983
Replied by slider1983 on topic Magazine Scanning

aeromaxx wrote: I do have a Canon LIDE 240 scanner which is A4 and works well for A4, it's a flatbed scanner, so fine for one or two pages, but anything with lots of pages takes forever due to the manual process.

Unless you can feed your scanner more than one page at a time you will have to do it manually which is what I do and the results are actually pretty good. :)

Kiwi wrote: Everyone seemed to want to make their mags bigger than the next guy so oversized mags proliferated during that period.

Unfortunately now they've gone the complete opposite way and some UK mags are presented in A5 like Star Trek Magazine. Makes for a good reading test anyway. :P
Last edit: 2 weeks 2 days ago by slider1983.

Time to create page: 0.217 seconds