New Releases 09/20

More
3 months 6 hours ago #2276 by Kiwi
New Releases 09/20 was created by Kiwi
We start a new month with SEGA as our opening move with Nipedley providing us with ten issues (09, 22, 26, 27, 29 - 34) of Megatech. A couple of covers were badly skewed so I have straightened them albeit with a little artistic licence required in editing. Still, they look very nice indeed.

Download Here
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cameron, slider1983, Skipster, rekk1, Tricky, potjekoffie48, etphonehome1973, modgeezer, DrAdder

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 months 5 hours ago #2277 by Kiwi
Replied by Kiwi on topic New Releases 09/20
Next up we have a repeat performance of MegaTech with nine issues (35 - 43) plus a Megadrive Tips Special, or is it ? .... added to the download pool.

Download Here
The following user(s) said Thank You: slider1983, Skipster, rekk1, Tricky, potjekoffie48, etphonehome1973, modgeezer, DrAdder

More
3 months 4 hours ago #2280 by Kiwi
Jason submits the February and April 1985 issues of Personal Computer Games (AUS). One has the top half of its cover removed, usually the result of shops getting a credit for unsold issues by returning part of the cover then giving the mags away or people removing them from bins. Still, given the rarity of these it's great to have anything let alone a full issue minus a small piece of a single page.

Download Here
The following user(s) said Thank You: slider1983, potjekoffie48, etphonehome1973, modgeezer, DrAdder

More
3 months 1 hour ago #2281 by Kiwi
PlayStation 2 Official (UK) is next out of the blocks with issues 40 - 44 now available thanks to Nipedley.

Download Here
The following user(s) said Thank You: slider1983, Skipster, rekk1, Tricky, potjekoffie48, etphonehome1973, modgeezer, DrAdder

More
2 months 4 weeks ago #2283 by Kiwi
Last up for the night is Nintendo Official UK (EMAP) issues 119, 120, 122, 123 and 124. Issue 120 was created with half the mag printed back to front. Nipedley scanned each half separately but I have combined the two halves with the pages ordered as printed. As a result of this when you get to page 67 remember to use Japanese mode (typically CTRL+J) on your CBR reader to see them oriented correctly.

Download Here
The following user(s) said Thank You: ed209, Mark, slider1983, Skipster, rekk1, Tricky, potjekoffie48, etphonehome1973, modgeezer, DrAdder and 1 other people also said thanks.

More
2 months 4 weeks ago #2284 by mrmariomaster
Replied by mrmariomaster on topic New Releases 09/20

Kiwi wrote: Last up for the night is Nintendo Official UK (EMAP) issues 119, 120, 122, 123 and 124. Issue 120 was created with half the mag printed back to front. Nipedley scanned each half separately but I have combined the two halves with the pages ordered as printed. As a result of this when you get to page 67 remember to use Japanese mode (typically CTRL+J) on your CBR reader to see them oriented correctly.

Download Here

Thank you for these! What's the best CBR reader to use?

More
2 months 4 weeks ago - 2 months 4 weeks ago #2286 by kitsunebi
Replied by kitsunebi on topic New Releases 09/20

Kiwi wrote: Issue 120 was created with half the mag printed back to front. Nipedley scanned each half separately but I have combined the two halves with the pages ordered as printed. As a result of this when you get to page 67 remember to use Japanese mode (typically CTRL+J) on your CBR reader to see them oriented correctly.

This...is not the correct way to handle this. Yes, putting the viewer in Japanese mode is necessary for facing pages to be displayed correctly in pairs, but the second half of this magazine is now incorrectly displaying those sets of pairs in the reverse order. When reading a multi-page article like the Resident Evil guide, the last pages of the article are displayed first and the first pages are last. Not good.

What needs to be done in order to read this file correctly is to reorder the pages for the second half of the magazine. Page 66 is the last page of the first half of the mag. Page 67 should be the back cover of the mag (the Star Wars cover). Actually, ordering the pages for the second half should be quite simple - just put them in the same order as the pages are numbered, since the reverse half has a separate numbering that starts at 1. Then, as you said, when you hit the Star Wars cover in two-page mode, switch to Japanese mode.

But right now the second half is completely #$%ed. Luckily, it's a CBR, so renaming the jpgs is simple enough. :)

EDITED TO ADD: I realize, Kiwi, that you were simply trying to emulate the page order of the printed mag, but unlike a printed mag, you can't just flip the mag over to the reverse side when you get to the center of a CBR. If you want to keep the two sides as a single file, you need to number the pages of the second half in the reverse order from how they were printed (although like I said, this mag conveniently numbers the pages as if they were a separate mag starting with 1, so it should be easy to keep straight.)

This is the same as when I scan a Japanese mag with a manga section. The entire mag is printed L-R except for the manga section at the back, which is R-L. So even though everyone still needs to switch to Japanese mode once they get to the manga so that facing pages are oriented correctly (page 2 on the right, page 3 on the left), I still have to reverse the order of the pages so that page 2 and 3 will be displayed before pages 4 and 5.
Last edit: 2 months 4 weeks ago by kitsunebi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mark

More
2 months 4 weeks ago #2287 by Kiwi

kitsunebi wrote:

Kiwi wrote: Issue 120 was created with half the mag printed back to front. Nipedley scanned each half separately but I have combined the two halves with the pages ordered as printed. As a result of this when you get to page 67 remember to use Japanese mode (typically CTRL+J) on your CBR reader to see them oriented correctly.

This...is not the correct way to handle this. Yes, putting the viewer in Japanese mode is necessary for facing pages to be displayed correctly in pairs, but the second half of this magazine is now incorrectly displaying those sets of pairs in the reverse order. When reading a multi-page article like the Resident Evil guide, the last pages of the article are displayed first and the first pages are last. Not good.

What needs to be done in order to read this file correctly is to reorder the pages for the second half of the magazine. Page 66 is the last page of the first half of the mag. Page 67 should be the back cover of the mag (the Star Wars cover). Actually, ordering the pages for the second half should be quite simple - just put them in the same order as the pages are numbered, since the reverse half has a separate numbering that starts at 1. Then, as you said, when you hit the Star Wars cover in two-page mode, switch to Japanese mode.

But right now the second half is completely #$%ed. Luckily, it's a CBR, so renaming the jpgs is simple enough. :)

EDITED TO ADD: I realize, Kiwi, that you were simply trying to emulate the page order of the printed mag, but unlike a printed mag, you can't just flip the mag over to the reverse side when you get to the center of a CBR. If you want to keep the two sides as a single file, you need to number the pages of the second half in the reverse order from how they were printed (although like I said, this mag conveniently numbers the pages as if they were a separate mag starting with 1, so it should be easy to keep straight.)

This is the same as when I scan a Japanese mag with a manga section. The entire mag is printed L-R except for the manga section at the back, which is R-L. So even though everyone still needs to switch to Japanese mode once they get to the manga so that facing pages are oriented correctly (page 2 on the right, page 3 on the left), I still have to reverse the order of the pages so that page 2 and 3 will be displayed before pages 4 and 5.

Probably what I should have said was when you get to page 67 go to end of mag use Japanese mode and read backwards as per manga comics. But yes, I hate reordering mags so they don’t reflect the actual physical copy. I actually could of kept it as per Nipedley’s original scans but it just looks yuck as far as preservation goes even if more readable. I hate those types of mags ....

More
2 months 4 weeks ago - 2 months 4 weeks ago #2288 by kitsunebi
That's not how digital manga or R-L magazines are read. You have page 1 of the reverse section positioned as the last page. It should be the first page following the last page of the L-R section. You have ordered the pages backwards.

When compiling pages of manga or any mag printed R-L, they need to be numbered in the exact order you would read them one page at a time. The only thing Japanese mode or manga mode does is flop facing pages to the opposite side. So the pages will still be ordered 1,2,3,4,5,6...but facing pages such as 2&3 will be flopped so that 2 is on the right and 3 is on the left. But your reader is still reading forwards through the numbers - you AREN'T moving to the last page and reading backwards.

So yes, this file is compiled incorrectly and all page numbers on the second half of the magazine need to be renumbered.

More
2 months 4 weeks ago #2289 by Mark
Replied by Mark on topic New Releases 09/20
I can understand both sides of the debate. Kiwi is right that ordering it this way is probably correct for preserving the style of these types of unusual issues. But Kitsunebi is also right in the sense that Nips page order is much easier and practical to read through. I might reorder it for myself. CBR is awesome!
The following user(s) said Thank You: slider1983

More
2 months 4 weeks ago #2290 by kitsunebi
I've got to disagree.

Kiwi's order is not correct at all for digital preservation because it makes the magazine unreadable. There are hundreds of thousands of digital manga releases NOT A SINGLE ONE of which is compiled backwards like this. Likewise, there are MANY instances of American flip-book comics printed exactly like this mag released digitally, again NONE of which are compiled backwards like this. They ALL reorder the pages so that the second half reads in order directly following the first half.

Comic Book Readers are not designed to read backwards. That is NOT what Japanese/manga mode does. Why? Because manga is NOT printed backwards. It's printed forwards, just like Western publications. The only difference is the side of the page the gutter is on, and the only thing reversed is which of the two facing pages you should start with. But pages are still ordered 1,2,3,4,5. NOT 5,4,3,2,1 as they are here.

More
2 months 4 weeks ago - 2 months 4 weeks ago #2291 by kitsunebi
I just took another look at this file, and it should not even be necessary to use Japanese mode. This magazine was NOT printed Japanese R-L style at all.

If you look at the page numbers, you can see that this magazine was printed ordinary flip-book style. That means that BOTH sides were read L-R, but one side was printed upside down. So when you get to the end of the first section, you flip the mag UPSIDE DOWN, allowing you to read the reverse side in normal L-R mode starting at the cover on the reverse side.

So Kiwi either needs to bite the bullet and renumber the pages correctly, or else flip all the pages on the second half upside down in the name of authenticity. :P

More
2 months 4 weeks ago #2292 by Mark
Yeah, I see your point. In the original experience, the physical copy would be flipped and pages would be read sequentially. There isn't really a perfect way to represent this in digital format. I can see why others have kept the sequential flow, sans the physical flipping which can't really be translated to the digital experience. Seems to be the logical approach.

More
2 months 4 weeks ago #2293 by Kiwi
I could certainly flip the other half upside down. It works for me .... just turn the iPad upside down and voila!!

Truthfully though, I can't be buggered playing around with it. Apart from the upside down issue the thing is pretty much how the original was purchased. I hate the thought of the back cover being at page 67 just for the sake of reading it but hey, it's a goddamned rar file so anyone can just order the pages how it suits them right? It's not like I released it as a PDF or anything like that so if anyone wants to fiddle with it, by all means fiddle with it to your hearts content :)

Thankfully, I've only seen a couple of mags like this and the others only had a handful of pages that way so it's not worth worrying about. I have another 600 odd mags of Nipedley's to get online. I'd rather do that than grind to a halt over one mag. But it is a good reason why CBR is a better format than PDF I freely admit.

More
2 months 4 weeks ago #2294 by kitsunebi

Kiwi wrote: I could certainly flip the other half upside down. It works for me .... just turn the iPad upside down and voila!!

This would be funny...if it were true. Alas, not even with an ipad is it possible to read this file correctly.

I think the problem is that you're treating the magazine as if it has a back cover. It does not. It has two front covers, just as it has two page 1s, two page 2s...it has two tables of contents, two editors pages, and two last pages. There is no front side, there is no back side. I'm not sure why you think that Mario is the front cover...because it isn't. It's A front cover, but so is the Star Wars cover. Neither one is the "real" front cover - they both are. Neither side is the start of the magazine - they both are. Which side you start with is purely your choice and probably based on what catches your eye (the fact that Kiwi thinks that Mario is the front cover makes me suspect he has a bias towards Mario, at least in comparison to Star Wars).

This file as it currently stands is something I will flip tables over. It's probably my OCD, but it makes me livid seeing a magazine uploaded in a way that it CANNOT BE READ CORRECTLY with any CBR reader on the market. There are two ways to handle this magazine. Either choose one side at random to start with, and then put the other side immediately after it IN ORDER (not backwards like it is now), or else keep both sides separate as two separate files.

Listen, I don't care a fig for Nintendo or any videogame magazines personally. I'm NEVER going to read this mag, and normally wouldn't even have downloaded it. But uploading mags that can't be read because their page numbering is wrong is an affront to everything good magazine scanners stand for, and if nothing else, I'd like to consider myself a good magazine scanner. I can't stress enough how much it bothers me having a file this broken available to download at a site I have my own scans shared at, since it taints my scans by association. This isn't some no-standards file dump like the Internet Archive - we shouldn't upload files that are flawed to a degree that they can't be read correctly.

Despite my personal lack of interest in the mag, I have taken the trouble of correcting the page numbers and uploading a readable copy to the NAS. I hope that Kiwi will upload it here. If not, I will upload it to a filehost myself and ask that the link be added to the download page. If that is also unacceptable, I believe I'm going to have to break some stuff and take a long vacation...

Also, if the file is left as is, I ask that the file description be changed to be more accurate. It currently reads: "This issue had the back half printed back to front. When reading from page 66 onwards change your CBR reader to Japanese mode (typically CTRL+J) to view the pages in the correct orientation." Neither part of this statement is true.

It should be changed to something like: "This issue was a flip book, with each side treated as a separate magazine complete with cover, table of contents, etc. One side was printed upside-down from the other so that the book could be flipped over vertically and begun from either direction. Rather than present the magazine as printed with half of the pages upside down and numbered in reverse (making it unreadable with a CBR reader) or as two separate CBR files (one for each side), we have arbitrarily chosen one side to start with and have placed the reverse side following immediately after the other. There is no need to adjust your CBR reader - all pages can be read in order."

More
2 months 4 weeks ago #2295 by Mark
I'm afraid there's only one way to resolve this impasse...

The following user(s) said Thank You: slider1983, JabbaTheGamer

More
2 months 4 weeks ago #2296 by modgeezer
Replied by modgeezer on topic New Releases 09/20
Great got this stuck in my head so had to give it a listen.

More
2 months 4 weeks ago #2297 by Kiwi
Forgetting about the Nintendo saga for a wee while we have Sega Pro issues 01, 16, 17, 21, 26, 28, 30 - 34 available.

Download Here

More
2 months 4 weeks ago #2298 by Kiwi
Official Xbox Magazine (UK) is next with issues 32 - 36, 39, 40, 41, 43 and 44 available for some X-rated weekend reading!!

Download Here
The following user(s) said Thank You: slider1983, Skipster, Tricky, potjekoffie48, etphonehome1973, modgeezer, JabbaTheGamer, DrAdder

More
2 months 4 weeks ago #2299 by Kiwi
Thanks to Nipedley we also have PlayStation 2 Official (UK) issues 45 - 54 just in time for some alternate console reading.

Download Here
The following user(s) said Thank You: kritof, slider1983, Skipster, rekk1, Tricky, potjekoffie48, etphonehome1973, modgeezer, JabbaTheGamer, DrAdder and 1 other people also said thanks.

Time to create page: 0.381 seconds