New Releases 01/21

More
1 month 5 days ago #2814 by Kiwi
Replied by Kiwi on topic New Releases 01/21
Another thousand mags have been migrated over to the new site and where I used to have fingers I now only have nubs on the end of my hands from all the typing!! :P

On a slightly less amusing note I am afraid to say my fi-5650c scanner is not pulling pages through properly for magazines with glossy paper stock. I have replaced the pickup/brake rollers with new ones and the problem persists which is really annoying.

This means my collection of GamePro (USA), EGM, PC Gamer, Computer Gaming: Strategy Plus and likely more than a few other magazines are now unable to be scanned until such time as I can acquire a replacement scanner. Jason is using a ix500 with less problems (the paper path on that one is vertical unlike my scanner which has a horizontal feed) so I am looking at getting a newer model of his like the ix1500 or ix1600 as his is a discontinued model and which may allow to continue scanning again. Unfortunately the ix1500 is $930 in New Zealand and the current donations are a few hundred short so until we get an increase in member signups I am somewhat stalled for getting those mags scanned.

It is what it is. If anyone feels like buying a Fujitsu ix1600 off Amazon and sending it to me .... :lol: .... just kidding ... or can spare a few dollars to donate towards getting a new scanner that would be awesome but in the meantime I have parked the notion of scanning again to one side while I finish the current content migration and get the remainder of Nipedley's content added.

For the time being that is my sole focus as I really want to get everyone onto the new platform.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• kitsunebi
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
1 month 5 days ago #2815 by kitsunebi
Replied by kitsunebi on topic New Releases 01/21

Kiwi wrote: Unfortunately the ix1500 is $930 in New Zealand

I hope that's New Zealand dollars you're talking about. But even if it is, that's still quite high. You need to do what I do when there's a huge price discrepancy between Japan and America -- order from Amazon USA. Sure there is shipping and import fees, but it should still end up being cheaper than that absurd price. I buy almost all of my computer hardware from America and have it shipped here since it's cheaper than buying the exact same thing in Japan.

More
1 month 5 days ago #2816 by Kiwi
Yep. That is NZ dollars. Unfortunately, due to one company (Proscan) having the Fujitsu reseller contract in NZ if I want warranty support or even be able to buy replacement rollers locally I have to buy from them and that is the price for the ix1500 and they don't stock the ix1600 yet. Add $500 to that price for an entry level fi-7030. Monopolies suck right?

If I am willing to forego the local warranty and ship it back to Amazon in the event of a breakdown then the cost to ship the newer ix1600 model at todays rates in NZ dollars according to their website is $730 so a not insignificant saving of $200 which is nothing to sneeze at that's for sure. That certainly puts it within a couple of hundred dollars so if I get another half a dozen member signups it might be worth taking a gamble on going down the Amazon path.

• kitsunebi
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
1 month 5 days ago #2817 by kitsunebi
Replied by kitsunebi on topic New Releases 01/21
Well, you've got crap shopping options but excellent responses to deadly pandemics. Win some, lose some, I guess.:P

More
1 month 5 days ago #2818 by Kiwi
Yep. The price of health is a lack of options alright.

You should have seen shops at Christmas over here. Stock never arrived due to delayed shipping and then when the ships did turn up the ports couldn't cope with the volume and some container ships went back to where they came from with the stock still onboard. Never seen shops with so little stock before. Crazy stuff!!

Until I get the site content finished over at the new site I wont bother thinking too hard on the scanner side of things. After that though I need to seriously think about getting one. The fi-5650c of mine was made in Feb 2008 so although I can probably feed newsprint based mags mags through it I think the time is now here where I need to consider getting something else. It's way, way past it's best before date ......

More
1 month 21 hours ago - 1 month 21 hours ago #2819 by Kiwi
We now have over 5700 magazines in the download area on the new platform which is around 80% of our current collection along several new mags for everyone to enjoy .... if you can find them :lol:

With this in mind and the fact you can still grab files from here while Jason and I work to get the remainder online I will start migrating users from now. A couple of things to note:

1. Is your email address in your profile here correct? As I stated previously, I am sending out the passwords via email to the emails addresses in your profile so if you altered them and they are incorrect you will not get the required email. Sending a "I haven't received my password email" to my email address will result in it being ignored unless there is a contributory PAYPAL donation as well ...... haha .... just kidding but I have to fund a new scanner somehow .... :lol: ..... but seriously, you may end up being the last person migrated so everyone has been warned ......

2. The PM (private messaging) feature is somewhat borked at present. It works as in you can PM someone BUT it hangs after clicking [SEND]. If you do send a PM wait a couple of seconds and press the [BACK] button on your browser or just click any site link on the page and you will clear the issue. Never fear, the PM definitely gets sent to the recipient. I am not sure if it is a hosting server side issue or the PM module itself but after I cut the rest of the content over I will start working on the site proper and look further into this issue. Best course of action I would recommend is, only use the PM feature if absolutely necessary (and remember the advice to click on a link afterwards) or use the forums if at all possible.

3. Do not bother Jason or I about missing content. We KNOW what we need to get added and with visibility of content now also determined by membership levels content visible as "archived" on the old site is now incognito. Any complaints about this subject could result in your membership being terminated as I am simply not interested in moaning and groaning about any changes I decide for the site.

4. By all means feel free to create a "Category or magazine problems thread" in the forums if you see something amiss with an issue here or there. We know we need to add cover pages on some mags anyway but for anything else leave a post and one of us will look into it although that may be after we get the remainder online. It's a time consuming process and mistakes are bound to happen so feel free to assist by letting us know if you see something wrong.

5. Lastly, take time to learn your way around the platform. It differs from Joomla a fair bit but when you get used to it I think you will find it better than the old site. Searches are great for locating magazines. Clicking on the top level link in the download section highlights the whole category on the right side men which makes finding the categories easy for example. If I have a chat with my hosting provider I might be able to open up member submissions at some point which would be really great for reducing my workload. Wait and see. But give it a go and we will seen where it takes us!!
Last edit: 1 month 21 hours ago by Kiwi.

• Mark
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
4 weeks 2 days ago #2820 by Mark
Replied by Mark on topic New Releases 01/21
Thanks Kiwi! You guys have done great work on the new site. It looks amazing.

• bigkev
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
4 weeks 2 days ago #2821 by bigkev
Replied by bigkev on topic New Releases 01/21
The new site is looking really nice. Thank you once again for all your efforts. Hugely appreciated!

More
4 weeks 2 days ago #2822 by Kiwi
Thanks for the words of encouragement guys. There a few niggles I need to work on to resolve. The Private messaging "hang" also occurs on "Adding Users" so I think these issues may relate to some sort of issue with writing to the SQL database for those fields. It is slowing me down significantly adding members so people will need to be patient as I work on getting everyone cut over.

Once I have members and content added I intend to run a local instance on a PC, copy the whole site over and see if I have the same issues on a local web server. If I don't then I will know I need to have a chat to tech support for my hosting provider.

First things first and that's getting everyone added. But I like the software. It is much better on the admin side of things being a fully integrated package so I hope I can resolve the niggling issues.

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds