Page Splitting software?

More
3 months 3 days ago #2705 by Kiwi
Does anyone know of a decent program that can split a double scan down the middle and save to two pages automatically?

I have been experimenting with Imagecool Image Splitter but it has serious limitations even though it is exactly what I need in that it cannot handle large page sizes for the original image you are wanting to split without dropping the resolution down badly due to memory issues. It also appears the company that made is no longer operating as their website is a rats nest of 404 page errors.

What I need is software that you can input a page into, set a split line then split and save two images. Not a lot to ask but I've been banging into programs that seem to do splits to create mosaics more than anything else hence the question.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• kitsunebi
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
3 months 3 days ago #2706 by kitsunebi
Replied by kitsunebi on topic Page Splitting software?
You could do it with an action in Photoshop (this is what I did with that Smash Bros.3DS file which was originally saved as nothing but two-page spreads) but there are a couple of caveats:

1. You would essentially be setting an action to do what you need to one page, and then automatically applying it to all other pages. This would basically require you to crop out one page, save, uncrop, crop out the other page, and save. The problem comes with the filenames when saving the split images. So far as I know, there's no way to set up an action to save files under different names than what the original file is, so if you opened up a jpg called "001" and tried the above method, it would save one half of the split as "001" and then save the other half as "001," copying over the first file. You could set the action to save one side in one folder and the other side in a separate folder, but then you'd still have two files named "001" and would have to rename all files in one of the folders, which could get really confusing.

In my opinion, the best you could do is set up two actions, one to crop the left side and one to crop the right. You'd need to do the saving manually, though, if you want to keep the filenames straight.

2. The above is only really applicable if the pages are all more or less the same size and the location of the split (or crop) is in the same place on every page, since the action would crop every page in the same place as wherever it was cropped when creating the action. Works like a charm on a digital rip where every page is identical, but might be less ideal on a scan.

More
3 months 2 days ago #2707 by Kiwi
Replied by Kiwi on topic Page Splitting software?
Yeah, I do that with Paintshop Pro occasionally but specifically I am talking about scanned pages. I have been slow getting onto GunyanTony's Dreamcast Official (JPN) mags because my guillotine is a tad borked and I don't want to cut down the middle and have it screw over the pages so was thinking of scanning them complete then using said software to split the pages.

If it wasn't for the memory issue Imagecool would be perfect. SIgh!!

• kitsunebi
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
3 months 2 days ago #2708 by kitsunebi
Replied by kitsunebi on topic Page Splitting software?
#A3scannerproblems

I debind all squarebounds with a heatgun and all stapled mags with...a pair of scissors LOL. Guillotines are too destructive for my taste. Although if I had tons of mags with nothing but blank space on the gutter side of all the pages, I'd totally invest in one.

This doesn't really sound like a problem common enough that there would be a bunch of software made to handle it.

• ChickenMan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
3 months 2 days ago #2709 by ChickenMan
Replied by ChickenMan on topic Page Splitting software?
I use ImageMagick, which is free, and at the DOS prompt use

mogrify -crop 50%x100% *.png

and it splits it in 1/2 to left and right sides.

Alan

More
3 months 2 days ago #2710 by Kiwi
Replied by Kiwi on topic Page Splitting software?
The problem I have is these are raw scans so the page sizes might be identical initially but if I rotate them to get the cut line vertical then there will be differences in the dimensions so a routine like the one you said won't work for me just like the Paintshop Pro one I use for digital scans.

The Imagecool program is exactly what I need but the inability to deal with large images renders it all but useless and the program is out of date so not looking good for any updates.

• ChickenMan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
3 months 2 days ago - 3 months 2 days ago #2711 by ChickenMan
Replied by ChickenMan on topic Page Splitting software?
Then just use

mogrify -crop 100%x50% *.png

and it will chop then horizontally with top & bottom 1/2 as individual pages. I use it all time and no probs with 600 dpi A3 scans I need to chop in 1/2.
Last edit: 3 months 2 days ago by ChickenMan.

Time to create page: 0.370 seconds